Naturopathic physicians often recommend different vitamin supplements depending on the needs of their patients. Here at Petra’s Massage Therapy & Weightloss Clinic, we have compiled a list of common supplements used in naturopathy and their intended uses. Your naturopathic practitioner will make sure you are only recommended herbs and supplements they think will help you and your unique situation.
For advice and treatment plans from an experienced naturopathic doctor in Oklahoma City, OK, visit Petra’s Massage Therapy & Weightloss Clinic!
Zinc is a mineral that is found in small quantities in some common foods like peanuts and wild rice. Zinc is most commonly associated with the common cold. It is known for its ability to shorten cold durations. However, in naturopathy, zinc has a wide variety of afflictions that it is used to treat:
- Acne – It is suggested that people who suffer from acne are deficient in zinc levels and that by being taken orally, zinc can help balance those levels and treat acne
- Wilson’s Disease – Those with Wilson’s Disease have bodies that create a surplus of copper. By taking zinc, the release and absorption of copper are reduced
- Vision Degeneration – Zinc is said to have properties that can promote the health of vision and slow down degeneration due to age
- Anorexia – Zinc has properties that naturally help to regulate appetite and can help people with anorexia to gain an appetite
Zinc has been suggested to treat dozens of other health conditions, the ones listed above are simply the most common uses of zinc. Your naturopathic doctor may suggest zinc for a variety of other reasons not listed. Reach out to us today if you are in the Oklahoma City, OK, area and want to know if zinc would be beneficial for you.
Naturopathy is all about helping your body take care of itself in a natural way. Vitamin C embodies the very essence of naturopathy. In proper doses, vitamin C has a reputation for supporting immune system health. Vitamin C can be advised to help support your immune system and prevent you from being infected with any illnesses. Vitamin C is also used for reasons other than immune support. Vitamin C is also often used for:
- Cancer – Vitamin C is suggested to decrease your risk of many types of cancer. It is said to limit the creation of carcinogens because of its antioxidant nature
- Cardiovascular Disease – Vitamin C has the potential to support blood vessel maintenance that can lead to better cardiovascular health
- Prevent Scurvy – It is common knowledge that if you don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables, you will get scurvy. This is because scurvy is a vitamin C deficiency, so make sure to eat some fruit or take a vitamin C supplement
- Detoxification – As an antioxidant, vitamin C has been shown to help your body get rid of harmful toxins
- Boosting Collagen Production – Vitamin C has been linked to promoting collagen production, which can help to combat skin damage from the sun or from aging
Iron is a major ingredient in making red blood cells in the human body. Iron is extremely important for:
- Having a Healthy Pregnancy – When you are pregnant, your body needs to supply oxygen and other nutrients to itself while additionally providing oxygen and nutrients to the baby. This increase in demand means the body needs more blood cells to get the job done — meaning it needs to produce more iron than normal
- Energy – Being deficient in iron can make it so that your energy levels are lower than normal and can also impact your focus and stamina levels
Magnesium is one of the most abundant materials in the human body. Magnesium is useful because:
- It helps to support a wide variety of healthy chemical reactions all throughout your body, like muscle contraction and blood clotting
- Your body consumes magnesium during physical activity, so during exercise, the body needs more magnesium to help fuel the demand you are creating through exercise
- Magnesium deficiency has been linked to depression. Taking magnesium supplements can help to combat depression in those with low levels of magnesium
- It can reduce the severity and frequency of migraines. If you suffer from chronic migraines, it could be attributed to a deficiency in magnesium
Magnesium is involved in countless reactions throughout the human body and has significantly more applications than those listed above. The ones listed are some of the most common benefits of magnesium supplements. In naturopathy, consult an expert to see if magnesium is the right fit for your treatment plan before you take any magnesium supplements.
Fish oil is a very well known supplement due to its high omega-3 content. Fish oil is often recommended in naturopathy because the omega-3s are great for controlling:
- Blood pressure
- Immune performance
- Cognitive health
- Brain health
- Weight loss
Fish oil is mainly used for preventing and treating heart disease. Naturopathy is of the school of thought that the fats in fish oil are not only good for the health of the heart, but are good for other parts of the body like the brain and joints as well.
In naturopathy, there are an amazing amount of options available to use as tools to help a patient’s individual treatment plan. Your naturopathic physician’s job is to have a comprehensive knowledge of the supplements at their disposal and make sure to administer them when they would be beneficial. At Petra’s Massage Therapy & Weightloss Clinic in Oklahoma City, OK, we have a highly experienced naturopathic doctor on-site and available to help with any supplement questions and recommendations you might have. Contact us today!